"Today, the nation commemorates the greatest leader of its civil rights struggle, a man who changed history with the power of his words and dignity " - The Baltimore Sun
Today's the 25th anniversary of Martin Luther King, a man who changed many lives for the better. After reading an article, black teens are determined to live out MLK's dream. One student's mother used the inspirational, more than famous, MLK speech (link can be found in the quote above), "She told me to dream". This speech not only affected those that were present at the march, or people that heard it from their homes, towns. This speech affected and still affects "unborn generations" (second article). In this article, students talk about their parents influencing them with Martin Luther King's speech, one student was inspired to go back to school. "Dr. King helped us get the opportunity, now we have to do the work." I feel that this brings out such a positive light towards society today. To see these students working harder to fulfill Dr. King's dream, that they take pride in doing so. A girl in the article, is thankful for how fortunate she is to have this opportunity to learn and make something of herself. It's incredibly interesting to think that Dr. King's speech, will still affect generations to come, it always will.
I obviously agree that MLK's speech was phenomenal and will continue to affect people for years to come. However, I can't help but notice that so much violence is still present in this world. I can't help but wonder if MLK's speech wasn't enough, and then what IS enough? People are still getting shot and beaten, kids are getting kidnapped, people are getting stolen from. What kind of message do you think this world needs?
ReplyDeleteKasia, that's such a great question, and statement! I do agree that there should be a stronger message sent out to kids and adults so the brutality can stop, but I really don't know what kind of message would be strong enough that everyone would listen and act accordingly. It almost seems impossible to have society act "correctly", one way is to target younger kids and make sure they understand right from wrong. If families live in areas that are low income or/and are familiar with that kind of treatment, stronger influences could be brought in to help "clean up" the neighborhoods and stop the violence. Once again, that's such an interesting question, I really don't know how to answer exactly. Thank you!
ReplyDelete