Have you been listening to iTunes top 100 lately? Take a look at these three songs:
Firework-Katy Perry
F*ckin Perfect-P!nk
Born This Way-Lady GaGa
Before I continue, let me just say that these three artists are not my absolute favorite (in regards to music) but I do respect them beyond compare. Why? Well after listening to these three songs and watching a few of their music videos, I really feel better. I'm sure millions of teenagers feel the same way about music, it calms them down, lifts their spirits, and gets them through tough times. If you've seen Katy Perry's music video to "Firework", I'd have a hard time believing that it didn't affect you in some way.
She's pushing her fans to push themselves to be themselves. "Come on show em' what you're worth", for example. Lady GaGa's new single, "Born This Way" has a massive booming message, love yourself. P!nk's new song, she's telling whoever's willing to listen, that they are perfect in their own ways.
Okay, take a step back from the music, and the videos, and the icons. Think about, each song has a similar message, love yourself and be the best that you can be. Inspirational and corny yeah, but I can't help but think about what these artists are doing, they're helping people. They're icons that are role models. They help show the world that there is more to everyone, to look past appearances and stop judging, BURST OUT OF YOUR SHELL! Using music, especially when you're a famous icon, really can influence people.
Many artists have these super fans willing to do anything for them. I'm sure these three artists have those fans as well, and by releasing this music with these messages they're actually helping their audience. Majority of their audience being young adults, which at this time holds the highest suicide and depression rate in history. According to teenhelp.com, 10-15% of teenagers experience depression at any one time. 20% of teens will experience depression by the time they are adults. Suicide is the third leading cause of death in teenagers. A lot of this depression is caused by society's pressure on body image, social class, family/friend problems, etc. It's one serious problem in the US right now, something as a society, we should work on to decrease the amount of depression and suicide among teens. These three artists are perfect examples of how we can try to make things better. It may not be a lot to some, but these artist's words really can impact someone. Steps like this can go a long way, maybe I'm reading way too into this, but I really think that releasing this music really has an impact on these artists' audience. What do you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment