Wednesday, March 16, 2011
Well then
This article may be a few years old, but it really struck me as odd. While researching for my Junior Theme, I came across this article on Opposing Viewpoints in Context. It talks about the 2005 cartoon movie, Shrek 2. Now this movie is popular, it's been viewed by a large number of people, including the Traditional Values Coalition. "[This] coalition is warning parents about the cross-dressing and trans gender themes contained in the hit Dream Works feature." They believe the movie promotes harmless entertainment, but that this is only a cover up. I really think this is going too far. I understand that movies have hidden meanings for audiences to figure out. Like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory represents God and the seven deadly sins. Don't get me wrong I'm fascinated with finding these hidden meanings but I think this coalition is taking it too far, or did take it too far. Even though this is a few years old it's interesting to see how this kind of thing affects today's society.A simple kid movie cannot be promoted without being shot down by some coalition accusing it of hindering "not normal" sexual interests. Why do certain people read way too into simple things, doesn't it seem a bit much?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Emily, I agree that messages are often read where there are none, and cartoon movies such as Shrek are unlikely to be promoting sexually related interests. Children who watch Shrek are too young to notice trans gender related themes (probably even to know what trans gender themes are), and so the message would be useless if targeted at such an age group. Such a claim therefore seems unlikely.
ReplyDelete