Sunday, April 24, 2011

Famous Shmamous

Last night, I went to Muvico to go see another movie in the series of Scream, Scream 4. The movie was actually pretty awesome, but also made me think about the ending. (POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT AHEAD) Emma Roberts, a young actress plays a significant role in the movie. I can't find a clip or an exact quote..yet, so when I do, I'll attach it to this post.


Without giving a lot away, she brings up the fact that no one has to achieve anything to be famous anymore. Maybe the writers of Scream 4, and Emma Roberts' character, Jill, are right. For example, take Rebecca Black. She produced a song with a minor music company and it was posted to YouTube. Without the intention of the video going viral, it did. One reason is because she received to much hate for the music's lyrics and the video in general. The video today is still on YouTube with over 111,000,000+ views. Which is pretty insane because if you compare it to Katy Perry's new music video: E.T. ft. Kanye West, it only has 33,600,000+ views. Katy Perry is a world known artist who is very successful. Okay, I'm not saying Rebecca Black is "famous" but she is known throughout the youth of the country because of her video going viral. Another example is, Jersey Shore. If you think about it, it's a group of eight young people in their 20's getting together under one roof and spending the entire summer partying. Next season, this crew will be making 100,000 dollars per episode just to go out and party in Italy.

Think about it, what does it take to be famous today? Do you think it's fair that people are successful for not having any success?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Emily,
    Great post- this is a really thought provoking topic. I agree with you that people have to do less and less to be on TV and to receive media exposure. But I disagree with you when you say that Rebecca Black is not "famous". I define famous as being commonly known either for good or bad reasons, receiving publicity and being successful through exposure. By my definition of famous Rebecca Black is clearly famous. How do you define "famous"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anna, Thank you for your in put! Actually when I wrote this I wasn't too sure if I should label Rebecca Black famous or not. I think I'm going to have to agree with you on your definition of famous. If you take a look at the Kardashians, people believe they are famous because of the amount of exposure they have been given. So I would agree with you that to be famous, you have been successful in exposure.

    ReplyDelete