Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It Gets Better

Joel Burns, a Texan that has served multiple local boards and Commisions spoke out against the bullying against homosexuals. A few weeks ago, in advisory, we watched a video of Mr. Burns' speech. After the video, I was speechless and somewhat inspired. He asks for kids that suffer from bullying to stick it out and give life a chance, to see how great things turn out. To me, this doesn't only relate to homosexuals, it can relate to anyone that is bullied. Everything happens for a reason, and I think Mr. Burns is right that things do get better. Hearing his story gave me the chills, this man endured hate and came out on top. All of his happy memories out weigh the bad memories. It makes me think how things will turn out. What if, and hopefully, his speech saved someone's life, like I've said in a previous post, little things can go a long way. It just bothers me that over five kids had to commit suicide in one month to have this hate recognized.

1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    What a great post! Because of everything that has happened in the past few months, I think it is fantastic that you blogged about this. It is so unfortunate that over five people have taken their lives in one month due to their sexuality, but I am grateful that light is being shed on a situation that clearly needs much attention.

    ReplyDelete